ITS POSSIBLE TO BE BEAUTIFULL
Your face looks back at you from the mirror...does it look dry or oily or listless, or does it look glowing and radiant?
This depends on how you take care of your face. Start by giving yourself 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes at bedtime.
Take 1 tbsp of un-boiled milk, dip a small pad of cotton wool in this and rub on the face gently. Use circular movements, use upward strokes on the neck area. Leave this on for 15 minutes. Wash with cold water.
Take a thick slice of cucumber. Don't peel the slice, rub in a circular motion all over the face and neck areas. Wash after 15 minutes.
Halve a tomato, gently rub over face and neck and wash after 15 minutes.
Take the half of a lime peel, from which the juice has been extracted, rub this firmly on the face and the neck. Using a Scrub-(once in 3-4 days).
After washing off the milk or juice - take a tsp of oat bran or wheat husk or gram flour (besan). Make a paste with a few drops of water and rub the face and neck gently with this. This sloughs away the dead cells and gives the face a glow. Don't use soap, just splash on cold water that will act as an astringent and close the pores.
Use green gram powder or rice flour mixed with curds instead.
Oily Skin: If the face is oily,
After a bath as a base for make-up use some diluted limejuice to dab on before application of foundation or any other make-up.
Diluted buttermilk dabbed on the face and left for 15 minutes, gently wipe with moist cotton wool before applying make-up.
Rub the face well with an ice cube.
Slice an Apple into thin slices. Place these on the face and leave for 15 minutes. These soak up the extra oil and helps to close pores.
Beauty & Skin Care Recipes
The main ingredients and their benefits of different beauty recipes are given below.
1. Aloe gel: remedy for burns.
2. Avocado: good source of vitamin E and natural oils, natural moisturizer.
3. Coconut Milk: for smooth skin.
4. Cucumber: for dark circles under eyes and wrinkles, under-eye puffiness.
5. Egg: skin conditioner, egg white for normal and oily skin, yolks for dry skin
6. Fenugreek seeds (dana methi): for skin scrub, if taken internally purifies blood.
7. Honey: for wrinkles, skin pores and lose skin, a natural astringent, natural moisturizer.
8. Milk: for skin nourishment.
9. Nuts: used in scrubs for wrinkles, skin pores and blackheads.
10. Oatmeal: for smooth skin, improves complexion
11. Olive oil: good for dry skin.
12. Oranges, Lemons, Pineapple: natural astringents, improves complexion, soften the skin, skin bleach.
13. Tomato: opening the skin pores.
14. Vinegar: for blemishes, itchy skin, and sunburn, softens skin
15. Yogurt: softens and hydrates the skin, skin cleanser, skin bleach.
16. Witch Hazel: body eodorant, for eye puffiness.
Skin Care Cleansing
Clean your skin every evening. The skin pores get blocked dut to exposure to air pollutions, wind, sun, air conditioning, dirt and grime from our fingers. After cleansing, using a natural skin toner like rose water.
It is really important to remove stale make-up, perspiration, dirt, dust, excess oil etc. Use a good, natural cleanser that removes only the impurities without stripping the skin of nutrients and moisture.
Wipe your face with a piece of cotton wool dipped in milk (unboiled or not heated). Almond oil is a good cleanser for skin under the eyes.
Remember that over cleansing can harm the skin.
Skin Care Moisturising
Moisturing helps to protect your skin from daily pollutants. Moisturising morning and evening with a natural moisturiser will hydrate, moisturise and protect your skin.
For a moisturizing and nourishing mask, blend a mashed banana with white cosmetic clay and apply.
For normal skin care mix 1 cup yogurt, 1 tablespoon orange juice and 1 tablespoon lemon juice and apply it on your face. Clean it off after 20 minutes.
For dry skin care use a mixture of cooked oatmeal and honey; it is a very good moisturizer and cleansing agent
Natural Skin Care Tips
• Avoid excessive exposure to sun. Stay protected from the sun to prevent the skin from becoming dehydrated and the damaging effects of UV rays on the skin. It may result in sunburn. Read the sunburn symptoms. You may also develop sun poisoning symptoms.
• Avoid excessive use of cosmetics. Health experts say that excessive usage of cosmetics by children enhances their risk to various types of cancer and other problems later in life. Most of cosmetic products use potentially dangerous chemicals like parabens and phthalates. The parabens chemical have been recently found in breast cancer tissues. This chemical can affect the hormone oestrogen. The phthalates are linked to lower sperm counts in men, premature breast development and allergies.
• Regular sleep gives our body the chance to work on repairing cells.
• Regular Exercising and massage stimulates circulation and blood flow.
• Drinking eight glasses of water a day keeps skin plump, hydrated and healthy. The body is composed of 70% water. Well hydrated skin is healthy and young looking.
• Take only warm showers and stay away from prolonged sauna exposure.
• Before you go in the swimming pool, rub Vaseline with a few drops of lavender essential oil added, on your body to protect the skin from the harmful effects of chlorine.
• Eat a balanced diet, avoid foods high in fat, cholesterol and sodium.
Follow an anti-aging diet rich in fruits and green leafy vegetables that are full of natural antioxidants. Antioxidants help prevent free-radical damage to the body. If you do not get enough antioxidants from your diet, then your skin cells could lose their ability to function well.
The antioxidants include ingredients such as vitamins A, C and E, flavonoids, beta carotene, selenium, glutathione and zinc. Eat foods high in antioxidants.
A good sunscreen should protect the skin against UVA and UVB rays from the sun and at the same time should help the skin maintain its natural oils and moisture. The natural sunscreen or sun cream can soothe, nourish and protect the skin from sun's rays. On the other hand, many chemical sunscreens clog the pores.
The natural and organic ingredients that may be used in a natural sunscreen recipe are sesame oil, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, Emu oil, Aloe vera or shea butter, etc. as they actually can absorb much of the sun's rays. But the information on the extent of UVA and UVB absorption ability of these ingredients is scanty. It is reported that sesame oil can reduce about 30%, coconut and olive oils about 20% and Aloe Vera about 20% of the sun's rays.
Natural Sunscreen Recipe
Note: The natural sunscreen recipes given on this page have not been evaluated for their effectiveness by any scientific or a medical body or by the FDA . It is suggested that natural sunscreen has only a low SPF so they should not be used alone.
• Sesame oil, unrefined, 1 Tbsp
• Canola Oil, 1 Tbsp
• Coconut oil, 1 Tbsp
• Avocado oil, 1 Tbsp
• Walnut or almond oil, 1 Tbsp
• Shea butter, 1 Tbsp
• Cocoa butter, 2 Tbsp
• Beeswax, 1 tsp
• Borax powder, 1/2 Tbsp
• Aloe vera gel, 2 Tbsp
• Rose water or lavender water, 1 Tbsp
1. Mix all the ingredients except the rose water, borax powder and aloe vera in a double boiler over medium heat until just melted. Remove from the heat.
2. In a pan mix the remaining ingredients and warm until borax is dissolved. Remove from heat.
3. Mix the above two and whisk together to a desired creamy consistency.
4. Store in an airtight jar and refrigerate. Keeps well for 3-4 weeks.
You can make a sunscreen at home using natural ingredients.
Green tea has been shown to protect against skin cancer. Boil some tea leaves in water and cool it. Wash your face with this water. It works as a natural sunscreen, according to beautician Blossom Kochhar. She recommends it to be worn above moisturizer and below makeup.
General Skin Problems & Treatment
Skin Problem : Freckles Age Spots
Skin Problem : Freckles Age Spots
Freckles are tiny black spots spread all over the face. They tend to appear more on the nose, cheek bones, and forehead. Freckles are accumulation of pigments in the skin that have little or no pigment. The pigment in the skin increases in order to protect its inner layer due to repeated exposure to the sun. Due to continued exposure, the skin acquires freckles. In rare cases, some could lead to skin cancer, malignant melanoma.
Treatment of Age Spots
Avoid exposure to sun for long duration. You should use a sunscreen whenever you move out in the sun.
Apply vitamin E oil on the age spot s daily to reduce their color.
Blemishes and age spots can become fainter by applying lemon juice a few times a day.
Skin Problem : Whiteheads
Skin Problem : Whiteheads
These are tiny, white raised spots and are caused by the accumulation of hardened sebum or oil in the pores of the skin when a sebum blocks a hair follicle deeper in the skin.
Treatment of Whiteheads
Do not remove them forcibly. Drink plenty of water and fresh fruits and fruit juices. Mix beauty grains (commercially available, can be made by mixing almond meal - powdered almonds and honey) and skin tonic (any commercially available acid-free and alcohol-free skin tonic) and rub regularly on the affected areas to dislodge them.
Skin Problem : Blackheads
Skin Problem : Blackheads
Blackheads are not dirt and cannot be washed away. A blackhead results when dead skin cells and sebum block a hair follicle near the surface of the skin. Blackhead causes the oily skin pores to be enlarged and the texture becomes coarse and rough. When a pore is fully blocked, a pimple can result. Blackheads cause acne.
Treatment of Blackheads
Do not remove them forcibly. Drink plenty of water and fresh fruits and fruit juices. Keep the skin clean by washing it with plain water. Wash the face with a medicated soap using warm water. Consult a doctor.
Home Remedy for Blackheads
You can buy some green tea (very good to drink as it’s full on anti-oxidants). After drinking the tea open up the tea bag and use the contents as a face scrub. It’s less abrasive than commercial scrubs and, therefore, less likely to stimulate oil production which could exacerbate your blackhead problem. Use it twice a week as too much scrubbing is likely to irritate your skin. Afterwards use jojoba oil as a moisturizer. This oil closely matches to the skins own natural oil, sebum – won't clog up your pores and will leave your skin super soft. You can buy it from any health food shop and it’s very cheap.
The enlarged pores result due to over activity of the sebaceous glands in the skin. The pores are clogged due to excessive secretion of oil, the pores may also become thick making the skin coarse.
Wash the skin with a medicated cleanser to reduce the surface oil. Use a good quality skin toner daily to remove oil from the skin and to close pores. This will result in a smooth clean textured skin.
A traditional home remedy for chicken pox marks is to apply a paste of neem leaves and turmeric in water. Try this, it may work for you.
Eating beetroot, bitter gourd, pumpkin and tomato can clear off blemishes
The stretch marks
The stretch marks
The stretch marks are created when body's cortisone level increases, particularly in puberty, pregnancy , or weight gain, or sometimes due to cortisone medications. They are formed in the inner layers of the skin. Those who have stretch marks want to get rid of stretch marks. There are some home remedies for the removal of stretch marks. if they do not work, then consult your Doctor
1. The stretch marks can be prevented. Cocoa butter is very effective in preventing pregnancy stretch marks. To prevent stretch marks, massage pure coco butter over your stomach, hips and breasts, twice daily during pregnancy. Stretch marks will not develop. Sandalwood protects the skin from stretching extensively during pregnancy.
2. Open an aloe vera (gwar mata) leaf and apply its gel regularly during pregnancy. This will prevent pregnancy stretch marks.
3. Mix wheat germ oil and calendula oil in equal proportions and apply on stomach, hips and breasts. This minimizes the stretch marks because of pregnancy or overweight.
4. You can cure or remove recent stretch marks with high doses of tretinoin applied to the mark. Tretinoin in the form of Retisol-A, Retin-A, Stieva-A or Rejuva-A can be used that cause a realignment of the collagen in the skin.
5. Massage the body area with extra virgin olive oil or Cocoa Butter or Pure Vitamin E Oil . These help in the softening of the skin and the affected area for a shorter time period. Applying these ointments treast the external skin. Rub well to penetrate deeper into the inner layers.
6. Laser treatment.
7. Opaque cosmetics may be used to camouflage visible stretch marks.
8. Lift weights to tighten the surrounding skin. The stretch marks will appear smoother.